Work Study for International Students
Your F-1 student status permits you to work on campus at the university that issued your I-20 while you are enrolled in a full course of study. Your Erskine I-20 is your proof of work eligibility for on-campus employment at Erskine only. You must maintain F-1 status to be eligible for this employment benefit; maintaining status means that you are a full-time registered student (except for approved exceptions) in good academic standing with a valid I-20. Work Study earnings are not directly applied to the student’s account. Students are able to make payments to their account from work study earnings by visiting the business office. Students work an average of 4 hours per week and no more than 20 hours per week.
How to Apply for A Position
- Students interested must attend a Work Study Meeting (students will be emailed the time and date).
- All job opportunities can be viewed by clicking on the work opportunities link.
- Once a job is selected, use the Click Here to Apply link, complete the application, and email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Application for Work Study”. (Eligibility for work study will be determined.)
- Employment applications for all eligible students will be forwarded to the department supervisor. The supervisor will contact the student regarding an interview.
- If not hired, the student may repeat the job selection process and interview with other supervisors who have work opportunities available.
Once Hired for A Position
- The hiring supervisor will notify the Registrar’s Office that the student has secured a position.
- The Registrar’s Office will issue the student a letter used to obtain a social security card at the local Social Security Administration.
Greenwood Social Security Office
115 Enterprise Ct.
Greenwood, SC 29649
- It generally takes up to 10 business days for the social security card to arrive in the mail.
- For more information visit socialsecurity.gov
Completing the Hiring Process
- Once the social security card arrives, the student will complete paper work with the Work Study Coordinator in the Financial Aid Office located in Belk Hall-201.
- The student must complete an I-9 and a W-4 to be eligible to work. Erskine College participates in E-Verify. Click for a list of acceptable documents needed to complete the new hire packet.
- The hiring process will be completed and the student will receive a work agreement. The work agreement must be signed by the student and supervisor and returned to the Work Study Coordinator.
- Students are responsible for reading the Work Study Manual. Click on the link below:
Work Study Manual
How to Receive Pay
- All hired students will receive login information for performance payroll.
- Hours worked will be logged in at performancepayroll.com or via the TimeWorks Mobile App.(The app is available free on the iTunes App Store or GooglePlay App Store.)
- Workers will approve all hours on the last day of every month.
- Incomplete or late timecards will not be processed until the following payroll.
- Payroll checks will be direct deposited or mailed to the student’s CPO Box.
- All student workers are paid on the 15th following the month worked.
All applicants are considered a volunteer until the hiring process is completed!
If you have any questions about work study please contact Zee Sloan: email@example.com, with a subject line: “Work Study”.
Location: Belk Hall-202
PO Box 338
Due West, SC 29639