skip to Main Content



The possession of alcoholic beverages by any Erskine student or guest of any Erskine student is prohibited anywhere on the Erskine campus or at any function sponsored by any College organization. This includes all residence hall rooms. A residence hall resident is responsible for any violation of the alcohol regulations, including underage possession or consumption that occurs in his or her room while he or she is present. Public display of any alcoholic beverage, drunkenness, or alcohol-related misconduct in any area of campus is a violation of the Code of Conduct.


The residence halls will be closed during Fall Break, Thanksgiving Break, the Christmas Holidays, and Spring Break. Students will not be able to remain in the halls during these breaks. Students who feel they have extenuating circumstances should contact the Office of Student Services at least one week in advance of the halls closing. They will need to fill out a form and receive permission from the Office. Students should pay attention to their email accounts, the message board, and flyers for specific information related to breaks.

Damage Charges

A Room Inspection Form is completed by residence life staff prior to check-in. Students will have the opportunity to review the document and make comments prior to signing it. Students will be charged for any changes to the room that occur during the year. It is imperative that students make SLAs or the RD aware of problems in the room so work orders can be filed. Unreported problems may result in damage charges at the end of the year. The following incidents may result in substantial damage charges; the list is not exhaustive:

  • Removing shelves or furniture, attempting to rewire any outlets or lighting, sawing doors to accommodate carpeting, installing water filters or other specialized plumbing fixtures, etc.
  • Painting and/or repainting a room.  Painting will result in charges from the college for the cost for materials and labor (which may be outsourced) to repaint the room.
  • Using nails, putty, or two-sided tape to hang posters, picture frames, bulletin boards, etc.
  • Decorating with contact paper or ìglow-in-the-darkî stars.
  • Failing to remove personal furniture, carpeting, belongings, or trash upon check-out.
  • Failing to sweep/vacuum room upon check-out.

Common Space Damages

If damage occurs in common space in a residence hall and the person responsible for the damage cannot be identified, the cost will be shared by the residents of that building or that specific floor. Residents are encouraged to show respect for the community in which they live and work and to hold others accountable. The following incidents may result in substantial damage charges; the list is not exhaustive:

  • Broken windows in stairwells
  • Broken ceiling tiles
  • Broken lobby furniture
  • Large amounts of trash in lobby areas

Damage Charges and Billing

Actual billing for damages occurs at the beginning of the summer with the aid of the Aramark staff. Billing for room damages ordinarily appears in the June billing from the Business Office (January for those students who move out in December).

Housing Policy

Erskine College is a residential campus. In order to provide the experiences and opportunities for growth to meet the mission and goals of Erskine College, it is important that the Erskine student live, study, exercise, worship, and socialize in the atmosphere expressly created for that purpose. To promote this end, all Erskine students are expected to reside in the residence halls and eat in the dining hall during normal academic terms. All students will automatically be charged a room and board fee by the Business Office unless a statement is received from the Office of Student Development indicating a change in this situation.

Exemptions to Live Off Campus

Every Erskine College student is required to live in a campus residence hall unless the student is granted an exemption. Exemption requests will not be considered unless they meet one of the following criteria:

  • Student is legally married
  • Student is legally responsible for someone else (caregiver, parent, guardian, etc.) and has documentation demonstrating this responsibility
  • Student resides with an approved blood relative and must
    • Live within a 50-mile radius from the campus
    • Notify the Office of Student Development that he/she wishes to commute. A Commuter Certificate will be sent to the legal guardian.
    • A Commuter Certificate must be on file in the Office of Student Development prior to the beginning of the semester the student becomes a commuter.
  • Student is at least 22 years of age and must:
    • Have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA and not be on Academic Probation/Suspension
    • Have no significant judicial history
    • Have the approval of the Athletics Department (if the student is an athlete)
  • Student has a documented medical exemption. Appeals to live off campus on the basis of a medical need must meet the following criteria:
    • The medical need must be compelling, such as post-hospitalization with ongoing care
    • Requirements for special medical equipment which cannot be met in campus housing
    • The need for special care attendants to help the student

Issues such as social anxiety, mild depression, and cognitive impairment typically are not considered to be compelling reasons to gain approval to live off campus. Requests for residing off campus due to asthma/allergies are typically not granted. Students wishing to pursue this avenue need to include letters from treating physicians and/or other medical professionals. They must also agree to full medical disclosure with the Office of Student Development.

Exemption Requests

If a student wishes to request an exemption from the on-campus requirement, he/she must submit the following documents to the Office of Student Development by the last day of classes in the spring semester:

  • A letter from the student in which he or she details the exemption criteria that is met in his/her situation
  • A letter from his/her legal guardian showing support of the on-campus exemption
  • Pertinent supporting documentation

Once all information is received by the Office of Student Development, the request will be considered by the Housing Appeals Committee. The student should receive a decision letter in his/her Campus Post Office Box within five (5) to ten (10) business days.

A student may appeal the decision of the Housing Appeals Committee to the Vice President of Student Success. The appeal must be received in writing within five (5) days of the Housing Appeals Committee’s decision. The decision of the Vice President of Student Success will be final.

Once an exemption has been approved, a student must provide the Office of Student Development with a current address at the beginning of each semester.

Inclement Weather

Students should enroll with Codespear, a county-wide information alerting system used by Abbeville County to inform residents and businesses of weather warnings, school emergencies, and road hazards. If a student has questions about Codespear, he or she should contact the Office of Student Development.

A tornado watch is a forecast of the possibility of tornadoes in a large area. A tornado warning means that a tornado has been sighted and may be approaching. In the event of a tornado warning, students should immediately go to one of the following shelters and remain until they are given the all-clear signal from an Erskine College staff or faculty member.

Applied Art Building – center of building away from glass

Belk Hall – basement and first floor (hallway)

Bonner Dormitory – first-floor hallways, basement

Bowie Art Center – classroom on first floor and storage area on first floor

Bowie Divinity Hall – basement and interior hallways on first floor

Daniel Moultrie Science Center – first-floor corridors away from windows

Erskine Building – Hangar area and basement hallway

Galloway Center – lower-level interior hallways and shower areas

Grier Dormitory – basement and interior hallways on first floor

Kennedy Dormitory – first-floor corridors and basement

Literary Societies – center of buildings, basement if available

McCain Library – basement, away from the book stacks

McQuiston Dormitory – first-floor corridors away from glass, and the basement

Memorial Hall – basement level

Moffatt Dining Hall – main dining area, private dining area well away from glass

President’s Home – basement

Pressly Dormitory – basement and interior hallways on first floor

Reid Science Hall – basement

Resident Homes – center hallway away from windows and glass doors

Watkins Student Center/Snapper’s – basement

Younts Infirmary – interior corridors away from windows – basement area

** Note: All Carnegie and Robinson residents are to evacuate to the Bonner basement during any tornado warnings.


The College will not be responsible for any personal property of the students, nor does it carry insurance for that purpose. Please reference your homeowner’s/rental insurance policy for information regarding coverage available for property away from the main residence.

Lost Key or Key Fob

If you lose your key or access fob, please notify the Office of Student Development immediately. The fob will need to be deactivated to assure security of campus buildings. Replacement keys cost $28 and replacement fobs are $10.


Attendance may be required at residence hall or floor meetings. Failure to attend a mandatory residence hall is a violation of the Code of Conduct.


No smoking/vaping is allowed in any building on the Erskine College campus, including, but not limited to, residence halls. This rule forbids smoking/vaping in residence hall hallways and personal rooms as well. Students are
permitted to smoke/vape only outside in designated areas.


Except during visiting hours, students are not permitted in residence halls housing members of the opposite sex. Students of the opposite sex are permitted to visit rooms (during visitation hours) if the student whose room they are visiting signs them into the residence hall. Visitation hours are 12:00 noon – 12:00 midnight daily. Students are permitted to assist members of the opposite sex in moving belongings into or out of residence halls during non-visitation hours provided a resident director is contacted for permission. Students should announce that a member of the opposite sex is on the hall. All persons of the opposite sex must enter and exit the residence halls through the front door only. If a member of the opposite sex is helping the resident to move belongings, they may enter and exit through the other doors at the discretion of the RD. During fire drills, the front door policy is not in effect. Each student is responsible for the conduct of his or her guest or guests. The RD or SLA may require a guest to leave at any time.

Back To Top