Associate Professor of Chemistry
B.S., University of Texas at Austin; M.S., University of Pittsburgh; Ph.D., Baylor University
Dr. Tiffany Hayden grew up in Texas and earned a B.S. in Chemistry from the University of Texas at Austin. After completing her bachelor’s degree, she conducted research for Bayer Pharmaceuticals on cancer, obesity, and arthritis and earned two advanced degrees in organic chemistry—an M.S. from the University of Pittsburgh and a Ph.D. from Baylor University.
Dr. Hayden has taught at Erskine College since 2009. She teaches organic chemistry and biochemistry, as well as non-major chemistry classes. Additionally, she advises pre-med students in the Chemistry major and serves as faculty advisor for Erskine’s student chapter of the American Chemical Society (ACS). She also works as an MCAT instructor and tutor for Princeton Review.
Research and Projects
Dr. Hayden’s research interests include the synthesis and properties of ionic liquids, as well as chemical education and the use of pre-lab videos for organic chemistry labs.
Outside of her responsibilities at Erskine, Dr. Hayden enjoys reading, playing games with her son, laughing with friends, and watching The Great British Bake Off.
Awards and Honors
- SCICU Excellence in Teaching Award (2017)
- ACS Science Coach, a year-long partnership with local K-12 teachers to bring science to their classrooms
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Organic Chemistry Division of ACS
- Chemical Education Division of ACS
- Western Carolinas Local Section of ACS (WCACS)
- American Association of University Women (AAUW), Erskine College Faculty Representative