Convocation offers opportunities to gather with members of the Erskine community for programs that include lecture series, renowned speakers, concerts, and plays.
In recent years, Erskine has hosted Dr. Steven Garber, founder of the Washington Institute on Faith, Vocation and Culture; writer and social critic Os Guinness; author and activist David Gushee; author Tori Murden McClure, famed for rowing solo across the Atlantic Ocean; Chief Justice Jean Hoefer Toal of the South Carolina Supreme Court; and Columbine survivor Evan Todd.
Attendance Requirements for 2020-21
- Chapel will be held every Tuesday and Thursday at 11:00 a.m. in Lesesne Auditorium. In order to more appropriately social distance, every student will be assigned a day (either Tues or Th) to attend chapel. You are only able to attend on your assigned day unless you receive prior approval from the Office of Student Development. Please arrive early as seating will be limited.
- Convocation will be held in Lesesne in the evening hours only, unless otherwise specified. Attendance will be limited in order to abide by the social distancing and capacity guidelines. You may be required to sign up prior to the convocation. Details will be communicated to you prior to the event.
- All students are required to attend a minimum of 8 Convocation Program events each semester. A minimum of 2 of those 8 must be Chapel.
- All programs count for 1 attendance onlyunless otherwise noted (there are no ‘double-credit’ events).
- There are no “automatic” excused absences or requirement reductions. Multiple programs are scheduled at different times of day so all students should be able to obtain the required 8 minimum programs. For legitimate reduction requests, visit the Convocation page on the website to complete a reduction waiver.This must be done at the start of the semester in which a reduction is being sought, not in the middle or end of the semester.
- Attendance will be tracked and maintained in the student portal. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of attendance and to contact the Office of Student Development if there is a question. Students will be held responsible for attending fewer than the minimum 8 required programs (a fine of $25 per program under the 8 required).A fine of $25 each will also be charged if 2 of the 8 are not chapel.
- The schedule for the 2021 spring semester is confirmed and posted to the calendar (see the second page of this document). Whenever possible, reminder emails will be sent to the Erskine community and will include important details.
- The Convocation Committee will not be accepting requests throughout the year to add events for attendance credit.
- All Tuesday/Thursday chapels will be held in Lesesne Auditorium.