Convocation offers opportunities to gather with members of the Erskine community for programs that include lecture series, renowned speakers, concerts, and plays.
In recent years, Erskine has hosted Dr. Steven Garber, founder of the Washington Institute on Faith, Vocation and Culture; writer and social critic Os Guinness; author and activist David Gushee; author Tori Murden McClure, famed for rowing solo across the Atlantic Ocean; Chief Justice Jean Hoefer Toal of the South Carolina Supreme Court; and Columbine survivor Evan Todd.
Attendance Requirements for 2020-21
Chapel will be held every Tuesday and Thursday at 11:00am. in Lesesne Auditorium. In order to more appropriately social distance, every student will be assigned a day (either Tuesday or Thursday) to attend chapel. You are only able to attend on your assigned day. Please arrive early as seating will be limited.
Convocation will be held in Lesesne in the evening hours only, unless otherwise specified. Attendance will be limited in order to abide by the social distancing and capacity guidelines. You will be required to sign up prior to the convocation.
- All students are required to attend a minimum of eight Convocation Program events each semester. A minimum of 2 of those 8 must be chapel.
- All programs count for one attendance only unless otherwise noted (there are no ‘double-credit’ events).
- There are no “automatic” excused absences or requirement reductions. Multiple programs are scheduled at different times of day so all students should be able to obtain the required eight minimum programs. For legitimate reduction requests, use the form below.
- Attendance will be tracked and maintained in the student portal. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of attendance and to contact the Office of Student Development if there is a question. Students will be held responsible for attending fewer than the minimum eight required programs (a fine of $25 per program under the eight required). A fine of $25 will also be charged if two of the eight are not chapel.
The schedule for the 2020 fall semester is confirmed and posted. Whenever possible, reminder emails will be sent to the Erskine community and will include important details.
- The Convocation Committee will not be accepting requests throughout the year to add events for attendance credit.