Convocation offers opportunities to gather with members of the Erskine community for programs that include lecture series, renowned speakers, concerts, and plays.
In recent years, Erskine has hosted Dr. Steven Garber, founder of the Washington Institute on Faith, Vocation and Culture; writer and social critic Os Guinness; author and activist David Gushee; author Tori Murden McClure, famed for rowing solo across the Atlantic Ocean; Chief Justice Jean Hoefer Toal of the South Carolina Supreme Court; and Columbine survivor Evan Todd.
Attendance Requirements for 2021-22
- Chapel will be held every Tuesday at 11:00 a.m. in Lesesne Auditorium.
- Convocation will be held in Lesesne in the evening hours and occasionally on Thursday at 11am.
- All students are required to attend a minimum of 8 Convocation Program events each semester. A minimum of 2 of those 8 must be Chapel.
- All programs count for 1 attendance only unless otherwise noted (there are no ‘double-credit’ events).
- There are no “automatic” excused absences or requirement reductions. Multiple programs are scheduled at different times of day so all students should be able to obtain the required 8 minimum programs. For legitimate reduction requests, visit the Convocation page on the website to complete a reduction waiver.
- Attendance will be tracked and maintained in the student portal. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of attendance and to contact the Office of Student Development if there is a question. Students will be held responsible for attending fewer than the minimum 8 required programs (a fine of $25 per program under the 8 required).A fine of $25 each will also be charged if 2 of the 8 are not chapel.
- The schedule for the 2021 fall semester is confirmed and posted to the calendar (see the second page of this document). Whenever possible, reminder emails will be sent to the Erskine community and will include important details.
- The Convocation Committee will not be accepting requests throughout the year to add events for attendance credit.