Assistant Professor of Psychology
B.A., Grove City College; M.A., Ph.D., Fuller Graduate School of Psychology
Assistant Professor of Psychology Dr. Briana Van Scoy joined the Erskine faculty in 2013. She has taught a wide range of psychology courses at Erskine, including General Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Counseling, Forensic Psychology, and Psychology of Emotion. Dr. Van Scoy serves as Psychology Department Chair and has been a member of several committees, including the Academic Regulation Subcommittee, the Faculty Executive Committee, and the Core Curriculum Committee.
Dr. Van Scoy’s clinical interests are in individual therapy with adults and children, marital therapy, and psychological testing. Her research interests include coping and stress, religious coping, relationships, marriage, resilience, psychological disorders, personality traits, social media, and heroism.
- Bjorck, J. P., Richardson, L. M. B., & VanScoy, B. K. (2014). “Religious Support, Marital Satisfaction, and Emotional Functioning,” 12 Annual Mid-Year Conference on Religion and Spirituality of the Society for Psychology of Religion and Spirituality, La Mirada, CA.
- Powell, J. M., McFarland, J. L., Torpey, A, M., & Van Scoy, B. K. (2007, March). “Treasures in Heaven? Links Between Spirituality and Self-control in College Students,” Seventy-Eighth Annual Convention of the Eastern Psychological Association, Philadelphia, PA.
Honors and Awards
- SCICU Excellence in Teaching Award, 2019
- Del and Joyce Goehner Award, Fuller Graduate School of Psychology, 2012-13
- Fellowship Award, College Women’s Club of Pasadena Scholarship Foundation, 2010-12
- Charles E. Fuller Scholarship, Fuller Graduate School of Psychology, 2007-12
- Clare W. Headington Memorial Scholarship, Fuller Graduate School of Psychology, 2010-11
- American Psychological Association
- Psi Chi National Psychology Honor Society