This policy governs within McCain Library the use of library computers and related equipment, the campus network, and the Internet. The policy’s intent is to inform eligible users of their privileges and responsibilities concerning computer usage and to ensure productive use of library computers, in accordance with institutional, state, and federal regulations for computer usage. Deliberate misuse of or non-compliance with these directives may result in suspension of library computer privileges.
- Erskine students, faculty, and staff have first priority use of all patron-accessible library computers.
- Erskine alumni, Board members, spouses and children of Erskine employees, and residents of the Due West Retirement Center may use those library computers specified for their use.
- Special Patrons of McCain Library may use those library computers specified for their use.
- Other visitors not affiliated with Erskine may use those library computers specified for their use.
Computer Use by Minors: Persons under the age of 18 wishing to use the library’s computers must be accompanied by an adult.
- The library’s computers are primarily intended for research and academic-related information retrieval. Research/academic use always takes precedence over recreational/personal use.
- Intentional violation of federal and state copyright laws and license agreements is prohibited (for example, making a personal copy of software licensed to Erskine or copying files created by another person without obtaining that person’s permission). The user is responsible for any and all copyright infringements or other illegal acts performed through the use of the library’s computers. (U.S. copyright law is governed by the Copyright Act of 1976, U.S. Code, Title 17.)
- Respect the privacy and protective measures of others. Unauthorized attempts to circumvent security measures; access restricted data, personal information, etc.; or interfere with someone else’s legitimate computer use are prohibited.
- Hardware/software repairs, reconfigurations, modifications, etc. are to be conducted only by library or computer services staff members.
- Accessing pornographic or obscene material is forbidden. Likewise, the transmission of obscene or threatening material is forbidden.
- Be sensitive to the needs of others waiting for access to a computer. Time limits may be placed on the use of computers if others are waiting.
- Downloading or saving files to a library computer’s hard drive is prohibited.
- Conservation of consumable resources (paper, toner, etc.) is expected. Unreasonable amounts of paper consumption, etc. is discouraged. As a result, printing may be limited.
Access Services Librarian Education Background: A.B., Erskine College; M.L.I.S., University of South Carolina Areas of Responsibility: Circulation services (Checkouts and renewals, Library patron accounts); Course reserves; Off-campus access to electronic…
Librarian, Assistant Professor Education Background: B.A., King College; M.A.R., Westminster Theological Seminary: M.L.I.S., University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill Areas of Responsibility: Interlibrary loan; PASCAL Delivers; Cataloging of library…
Associate Dean for the Library, Associate Professor Education Background: B.A.' Charleston Southern University; M.L.I.S., University of South Carolina Areas of Responsibility: Overall management of all library operations; Research assistance; Library…