Convocation offers opportunities to gather with members of the Erskine community for programs that include lecture series, renowned speakers, concerts, and plays.
In recent years, Erskine has hosted Dr. Steven Garber, founder of the Washington Institute on Faith, Vocation and Culture; writer and social critic Os Guinness; author and activist David Gushee; author Tori Murden McClure, famed for rowing solo across the Atlantic Ocean; Chief Justice Jean Hoefer Toal of the South Carolina Supreme Court; and Columbine survivor Evan Todd.
Attendance Requirements for 2022-23
- Chapel will be held every Tuesday at 11:00 a.m. in Lesesne Auditorium.
- Convocation will be held in Lesesne in the evening hours, unless otherwise specified.
- All students are required to attend a minimum of 12 Convocation Program events each semester. A minimum of 8 of those 12 must be Chapel.
- All programs count for 1 attendance only unless otherwise noted (there are no ‘double-credit’ events).
- There are no “automatic” excused absences or requirement reductions. Multiple programs are scheduled at different times of day so all students should be able to obtain the required 12 minimum programs. For legitimate reduction requests, visit the Convocation page on the website to complete a reduction waiver. This must be done at the start of the semester in which a reduction is being sought, not in the middle or end of the semester.
- Attendance will be tracked and maintained in the student portal. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of attendance and to contact the Office of Student Development if there is a question. Students will be held responsible for attending fewer than the minimum 12 required programs (a fine of $100 per program under the 12 required). A fine of $100 each will also be charged if 8 of the 12 are not chapel.
- The schedule for the 2022 fall semester is confirmed and posted above. Whenever possible, reminder emails will be sent to the Erskine community and will include important details.
- The Convocation Committee will not be accepting requests throughout the year to add events for attendance credit.