Constructed in 1949, McCain Library was named in honor of Dr. J. I. McCain, head of the English Department at Erskine College for forty-nine years. In 1973 the library underwent renovation and an addition was made. The 1949 building and the 1973 addition make up the present 22,500 square-foot facility. McCain Library serves as the library and archive for both Erskine College and Erskine Theological Seminary. In addition to its primary responsibility to Erskine, the library serves as a cultural and intellectual resource for the local community. The library’s collections include the once-separate libraries of the College, the Seminary, the Due West Women’s College, and the Philomathean and Euphemian Literary Societies.
McCain Library houses a total of 155,000 book volumes, 20,000 bound periodical volumes, 57,000 microform volumes, 1,500 audiovisual, media and multimedia items, and over 15,000 archives and special collections items. The library maintains nearly 800 current periodical subscriptions in paper, microfilm, and electronic formats and has access to over 7,000 full-text journal titles through online periodical databases. In all, the library maintains over 60 subscriptions to electronic databases. The library participates in the Federal Depository Library Program, serving as a selective depository for U.S. government documents. The archive consists of materials relating to the College, the Seminary, the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, Abbeville County (S.C.), and genealogical records. The library also maintains special collections of materials with special significance to the institution or to the historical preservation of unique information and items.
Other available services and resources include reference assistance; a library website; library instruction (course-specific and individualized); interlibrary loan; Library-Materials-by-Mail program (seminary only); cooperative borrowing agreements with libraries in SC, NC, and GA; two copiers; two microfilm/microfiche reader/printers; one oversized microfilm reader; an audio listening station with a CD player, cassette player, phonograph player, and radio; an overhead projector; a scanner; and the “Media Room” which consists of a large-screen television, VCD / DVD, a campus computer network connection, and seating for up to 20 people.
McCain Library is open to students, faculty, staff, and the community 82.5 hours per week during regular terms, 75 hours per week during the Winter Term, and 45 hours per week during the summer. The library provides 200 seats for group and individual study.